Relationship between fire teams in the squad.
• Squad column
• Squad line
• Squad file
• Most common formation
• Provides good dispersion laterally and in depth without sacrificing control with good manageability
• Squad moves the rifleman in the rear trail fire team provides rear security.
• Provides maximum firepower to the front
• Squad leader can be moved from normal position to the first or second position:
– to increase control over the formation
– greater moral presence by leading from the front
– immediately available to make key decisions
• Additional control over rear by moving team leader to last position